The Whonix ™ project is a Freedom Software project.
Whonix ™ is not a Freedom Software maximalist project, since it does not adhere to the Free System Distribution Guidelines (GNU FSDG) [archive] (forum discussion [archive]). However, Whonix ™ will not bundle any unnecessary, major non-freedom software software components or contribute to these.
Policy on Non-Freedom Software
Table: Whonix ™ Policy on Non-Freedom Software
- Helping users who ask about non-freedom software; for example - "How do I use Wickr?" Answer: "See the Wickr wiki page."
- Community-contributed documentation about popular non-freedom software such as VMware.
- Discussions about Freedom Software that rely on Non-Freedom server software; for example - Telegram Client (Freedom Software) that requires connections to the Telegram server (Non-Freedom Software).
- Discussion about Freedom Software alternatives to non-freedom software; for example - "What's a Libre alternative to team viewer?" Answer: "See the Remote Administration wiki page."
- Running Whonix ™ on top of non-freedom operating systems such as Windows and macOS.
- Non-freedom Firmware Security and Updates and Processor Microcode Updates.
- Unsolicited recommendations of non-freedom applications; for example - "How do I use remote support?" Answer: "Use anydesk" (prohibited).
- Debates about the features and security of closed vs Open Source Software are unwelcome.
|Contributions to Non-Freedom Software
- Examples include Non-freedom software hypervisors such as VMware  and Hyper-V.
- Unless paying for professional support (and hosted on separate website if hosted), it must be hosted without references to the Whonix ™ trademark and website.
|Non-Freedom Firmware for upcoming Whonix-Host
The current position on nonfreedom software:
||This policy has been devised for the following reasons:
- Avoiding endless, circular and non-productive debates.
- Clearly defining the Whonix ™ project philosophy.
- Avoiding Non-Freedom Software
- Community Feedback Policy
- Brand protection - the Whonix ™ project is known to be a Freedom Software project that routes all communications over the Tor network. It is undesirable to harm this brand by bundling it with unnecessary non-freedom software components.
Jobs in USA
Search engines: YaCy | Qwant | ecosia | MetaGer | peekier | Whonix ™ Wiki
We are looking for help in managing our social media accounts. Are you interested?
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat and Policy On Nonfreedom Software applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2020 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)
Whonix ™ is a derivative of and not affiliated with Debian [archive]. Debian is a registered trademark [archive] owned by Software in the Public Interest, Inc [archive].
Whonix ™ is produced independently from the Tor® [archive] anonymity software and carries no guarantee from The Tor Project [archive] about quality, suitability or anything else.